Welcome to our Spotlight Series where we will be sharing something FAB about cities in our great D.FW…starting from A-Z.
Addison History – The Town of Addison is located in an area once called Peters Colony. It was settled as early as 1846 when Preston Witt and his wife built a house on White Rock Creek. The area was not known as Addison until 1902.
Addison was named after Addison Robertson, who served as the community’s second postmaster from 1908-1916. In 1902, the first industry was introduced to Addison when a cotton gin was built on Addison Road, near the railroad, by the Pistole brothers. It became the Plano Cotton Oil Mill in 1904 and the Farmers Gin of Addison in 1919.
Located on Belt Line Road is the Addison School Building which was built in 1914. In 1954, the school was annexed and became a part of the Dallas Independent School District. The school, which was closed in 1964, now serves as the Addison Magic Time Machine Restaurant.
TODAY – Visitors in Addison can plan a trip to the nearby museums and historic sites. Among these are the Farmers Branch Historical Park, Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Water Tower Theatre, the Dallas Children’s Museum and the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods, a mid-20th century chapel designed by O’Neil Ford and considered to be among the finest buildings in the state. In addition, the town hosts annual celebrations like ArtFest, ITALIA, North Texas Jazz Festival, Oktoberfest, Kaboom-town and Taste Addison.
For more information about our exciting Dallas Metro, contact us at 214.769.2142.