Welcome to our Spotlight Series where we will be sharing something FAB about cities in our great D.FW…starting from A-Z.
Fifth Stop: Benbrook!
Benbrook is located in the southwestern corner of Tarrant County and is a suburb of Fort Worth. Benbrook retains its small-town appeal, while located only minutes from regional attractions such as Fort Worth’s cultural and historic districts, and Granbury’s shopping opportunities.
Embracing the northern shoreline of Benbrook Lake, Benbrook affords outstanding leisure and recreational amenities, acres of lush parkland, and family-friendly festivals & events.
Established by settlers from Tennessee and other southern states about 1857 and originally called Miranda. In 1876 the Texas and Pacific Railway extended its tracks through the area. The community was renamed for James M. Benbrook, a native of Indiana, who had come to Tarrant County about 1874 and played an important part in persuading the Texas and Pacific officials to build their line through the site. Benbrook opened a post office in 1880. The local school registered sixty-four students and employed one teacher during the 1905–06 term. By the middle 1920s, when its first population statistics were reported, only twenty persons lived in Benbrook, a number that remained constant through the following decade. The onset of the World War II brought an increase in the population, which was 100 in the late 1940s and 617 a decade later. By 1957 the town had twenty businesses. The completion of Benbrook Reservoir in the early 1950s contributed to the community’s development. Benbrook grew along with the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
For more information about our exciting Dallas Metro, contact us at 214.769.2142.